Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sold My Soul

So, my dad started a writing blog over on wordpress (look at the Blogs I Read for The Book of Writing, that's his blog). His first post was about why he writes and that got me to wanting to write a post about why I write.

Now I was thinking at first, after reading his post, that I was quite the odd ball with my reasonings for why I write. My dad's reason for writing is because one of his teachers read The Hobbit to his class and he fell in love with the written word via that. And I've heard a lot of people say they got into writing because they read a book that inspired them, or they had a teacher who read to them and inspired them to write.

I don't fall into any of those categories.

So I asked my roommate why she writes (because she's a writer too :) ) and her reason was just because she came up with a story over a few years time and wanted to put it down on paper. I didn't feel so weird after that.

I started writing because of a homework assignment.

In kindergarten.

My kindergarten teacher gave us an assignment to write a story. I don't remember what the parameters were or any of that but I came up with the story and told it to  my mom and she wrote it for me 'cause, come on, it was kindergarten and my story had a lot of big words in it, or something like that, haha. But anyways, I came up with a story about a cat who was friends with all of the other animals but the dog. My mom still has that story too. It lacked a plot and didn't really have an real ending of sorts. But I fell in love with telling stories, coming up with all this stuff was awesome. And after that I became a writer.

I never wrote anything substantial growing up because I never really had my niche, my genre, my special writing place. I loved to come up with stories, oh yes I did, but I cold never really come up with anything more than a paragraph. In middle school and high school I wrote some awesome short stories but nothing big. I wanted to be a published author! I wanted to have my book sitting on the shelf next to Anne Rice!

Sure, I tried to write loads of stories in high school (It should be known now that I call my manuscripts 'stories' rather than novels or MS's because it works so much better for me that way *shrug*). I had one that was about a high school loser who was always picked on by the football team start killing the football team one by one. That was until I showed it to my therapist and she asked if I was suicidal and depressed. (It was a fanfiction for Elijah Wood. My best friend had said she was fed up with all Elijah Wood fan fiction being love stories. So I decided to write one where he was a murderer. When I told the therapist this, she asked my if my best friend was depressed, homicidal and suicidal. *eye roll*) That stopped my want to write that story. Then I started on Temporarily Insane, a story that takes place in a mental institution. I had too many characters and then never could finish it. I loved that plot line though.


Before I go any farther, I had one friend in high school who I would always go over to her house and when I was there, we would write stories together. The full length manuscripts I wrote with her were, until 2008, the only full length manuscripts I had ever written. And those were co-authored.


Well now, there comes 2008! I found out about NaNoWriMo a week before it started and talked my roommate into doing it with me. And we won! It was awesome!


As of now, I have 2 (mostly) completed novels. By 'mostly' I mean they need to be cleaned up. And the second one will probably never see the light of day, but I hope to all high heaven that the first one does! Because it's awesome and I'm evil that way. (Long story behind that >.>)


Well, anyways, that there is why I write. And my journey up until now-ish. Hope I wasn't too boring there.


Laters!


PS I'm thinking about putting music on my blog. Not sure yet though.

1 comment:

  1. Jesi,
    Thanks for mentioning my blog. In other news, you aren't an oddball at all. In all honesty, I felt a little odd because getting a story read TO you is sort of a funny way to get inspired to write. Most people who are inspired by a writer actually READ the book that inspired them. Of course, I did read it later, but that's where the seed was planted. I didn't actually start writing for at least a couple years after that. The thought never occurred to me, and when it finally did, it was very daunting to me. I'd look at those huge books and wonder how I was ever going to learn to string so many words together. But I've learned, maybe to the world's regret lol. Keep up the good work kiddo!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...