Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's like a snow day

Sometimes writing comes easy as pie. It flows like water through a stream, just pouring from your brain to your fingers and onto the (digital)paper. At times, you can hack out five thousand words in a day (or more if you're just that awesome) and still want to write more but you're so tired that you have to close up and go to bed.

Other times, it's like a snow day. And not like those good snow days when you find out school is cancelled and you get to stay home and veg on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows. No, it's more like those snow days when the snow is up to your hip and still coming down and you still have to go to work.

Sometimes, writing is like sloughing through that long expanse of space from your front door to your car. Then you have to dig a space large enough for your door to open so you can slip through and into the car. But it's freezing in the car and your engine doesn't want to start because it's so damn cold out, so you're shivering inside your own car, trying, begging, crying, pleading for the car to start so you can turn the heater on. But that all comes after you fight your way through all that snow.

Now, I don't live in an area that actually gets snows, so I don't know if places of work actually make their employees come in to work with snow that high, but I'm going to say your boss is a dick and making you come in. Cause I can. I have an artists license to do that kind of thing.

Right now I'm sloughing through that snow. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to remedy it. My brain is so scattered that I'm lucky to have the few hundred words I have down.

There's a lot of reason I could be stuck here in all this snow.


  • I'm restless, though that could be the ADHD. 
  • My semester technically started yesterday, though because I'm doing school online, I don't have to worry about that yet. 
  • I got my itouch in the mail the other day and I'm still learning all the ins and outs and having a grand old time with it.
  • I went out with my bff yesterday to an old western movie set and we made a little movie type thing and I need to edit the pieces together. And I really want to do that.
  • I don't know what's going to be happening in my story. Like seriously, I've come to that spot where it's like, I know what's going to happen down the road, but I can't just jump into it. They have to plan, Lauren needs to talk to Bernie in the hospital. I'm thinking of introducing the MC for part two at one point, though she's just going to be making a cameo in this. And she's only going to be like, ten.
  • My brain keeps trying to sway over to the two other ideas I have placed on the back burner until after this month is done. Or at least until after this story is done.
I could go on and on, but I'm sure you guys don't want to read that. It'll probably get kind of boring.

So what do you guys do to get through all that snow and get rolling again? I really want to know. maybe it'll give me a shovel through all this.

Until then, I will push on and find my way to work, where hopefully they have hot water, cocoa packets, and the heater is on.

Laters!

2 comments:

  1. Yep. That is definitely a thing that would happen, snow-wise.
    Usually I just start asking myself, "And then what happened?" Or skip to another part of the story. Like the end. It gives you something to work for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it depends on what's going on. I'm having trouble with my new novel: things just don't want to gel like I want. So, I just don't force it. Because we both write seat-of-the-pants, it can get tough in the middle of a novel. You just keep the story in mind and keep on keepin' on! And try to shelve the other story ideas for later. The way I do that is by keeping a notebook on my desk, and when I get an idea for one of my other stories, I write it down so it's not in my brain bugging me like a wino after drinking money. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...