Saturday, April 23, 2011

H is for Hook

I've got a bit of time right now, so I'm going to do the posts between H and today's letter (T) that I had actual topics for. That means I will be posting letters H, K, N, O, P, Q, and S.


Today is Hook!

Normally hooks are at the beginning of the book. You've got to get your reader snagged on your first line.

I like starting my stories in the middle of the scene, normally with dialog. I've recently read somewhere that starting with dialog is not a good way to start a story. I'm not totally sure why. I like beginnings like that.

Really, I started opening with dialog after reading my favorite book about 10 times. I have always sucked at beginnings and endings, so I turned to In My Enemy's House by Carol Matas. She started with a Nazi yelling for the Jews to get out of their houses in German (if I remember correctly, it's in German) then in English. So I decided that that was how I was going to start my stories.

Now I just kind of go for the middle of a scene. Or however the characters tell me about the beginning.

So how do you normally start your novels/stories? What's your hook? Readers, what kind of openings do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...